Thursday, June 13, 2013

One Head, but So Many Hats!

Lately, I've found myself handing probably at least an average of two business cards each day.  However, there was one day not too long ago that I forced myself to take 10 business cards to work with me and hand them all out.  And that was exactly what I did.

My business cards most prominently displays the name of my novel:  2018: An Uncivil War.  Underneath that is my name, Phil Sanderson, above my business occupation:  Writer and Novelist.  I also mention that the action thriller is coming this summer.

On top of this, I used to have a magnet that proudly read:

2018: An Uncivil War
A Near-Future Action Thriller by 
Phil D. Sanderson

Coming Summer 2013


It also had the very same design in the background as my business cards:  a close-up on the top part of the American Flag flapping in the breeze.  Unfortunately, someone either stole the magnet off my car (Lord knows that if that one large magnet was cut up into a lot of smaller ones, people would be able to have their children's complete art gallery on their refrigerator!), or it blew off while I was driving back home from the VA Hospital where I am currently working in Voluntary Services.  

But in addition to all of this, I am also currently hard at work on a very basic website for myself.  I will proudly announce it as soon as it is complete.  

Basically, I am quickly learning that not only do I have to wear the hat of a storyteller, marketer, and web designer, but I also have to wear the hat of a publisher.  Does it end here?  No, sir and ma'am!  When my book finally comes to print, I will have to wear the hat of a public speaker when I hold various book signings.  My public affairs experience from the United States Marine Corps should serve me well there, however.  And then, if I start earning a good and wealthy living as a novelist, I reckon I will also end up wearing the hat of a traveling reporter and maybe even adventurer, since I have that thrill-seeking and fun-loving craziness within my spirit. And who knows what other hats I will have to wear?  

So this is my first run as a hat-wearing fool.  If I offend anyone with my fashion statements, please forgive me in advance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment