Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day is Here!

Almost every Independence Day that rolls around, I usually -- strangely enough -- remember my childish mischief that occurred during this same time of year as a devilish child.  I remember when my cousin Larry Joe and I had come across some bottle rockets while staying with my aunt in an old Memphis neighborhood.

One of us (I cannot remember which) came up with the idea of shooting at cars as they came down the street that night.  We hid behind a car that had been parallel parked in the street.  And as soon as the passersby drove by, I came out with my bottle rocket aimed at it as it was climbing a small hill.  I launched the rocket way too low, however.  And it skidded across the pavement, down the street, and finally underneath the car where we suddenly saw a lot of sparks being emitted from the undercarriage.  Now that I think about it, I'm lucky we hadn't blown the damned thing up and killed the passengers!

We just laughed about it and headed back inside.  But before we got to the door leading into my aunt's house, Joe took the bottle from me, fed it a rocket, and aimed it across the yard and street at one of the other houses.  He launched it perfectly onto the porch where it discharged all of its bright and loud fiery effects.  We laughed before heading inside.

There is more to the Fourth of July than amazing firework effects, laughter, and mischief.  This is a day that we celebrate due to the fact that the Declaration of Independence was signed on this day in 1776.  Taxation without representation was only one of the main problems in the day when King George stated unfair claim over pioneers who had left his monarchy.  As a result, the very first American immigrants to this country were out of sight, but definitely not out of mind.

To this day, our independence is still under attack.  We have people trying to redefine the religious institution of marriage, we have people trying to ban gun ownership, we have corrupt politicians abusing their various powers while pretending to be true patriotic Americans.  

So I feel that Independence Day is the time to look not so much as to where we are today, but to look at where we were back in the colonial days, where we have come from and how we have come from there, and -- most importantly -- where we need to be.  We need to learn from history to better ourselves, maybe in ways that have worked in the past, maybe in fearless new ways that have yet to be tried.

No matter how you celebrate Independence Day, I feel it is important just to celebrate it.  God bless all of you.  And may you have a very happy, safe, and bright Fourth of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment