Saturday, May 18, 2013

...About Bad Language

I am very blessed to have my Aunt Brenda Morgan acting as editor on my novel, 2018: An Uncivil War.  She has always been a favorite aunt of mine and has always helped to keep me on a good and moral path, even as a hyperactive child that many went so far as to even call me a Hellion.  Luckily for me, she was never one who stooped to such name calling.  She is now one of the most upstanding Christians I've ever known. 

As my editor, she has already read the entire first part of my novel and penned in corrections.  Now she is ready to tackle the second part, which I am still heavily revising on my own, first.  However, she did express one major concern in my first part:  the bad language therein.  And I expect to see many alternatives to some choice cusswords I have included in the text.

The strange thing about my work is that it is ALMOST like a Christian fiction novel, but with flaws.  I consider myself a Christian, but I also have flaws.  Any other person out there claiming to be a Christian without flaws is either deluded or lying (hopefully the former!).  Even though there are people cussing in my novel, there are also people who are worshipping and praying. 

My novel is meant to be ultrarealistic.  The bottom line is that war is a messy subject.  When people are dying all around you, the last words out of your mouth will be "heck", "darn", and "shoot" (unless you are talking about a tactical command, of course!).  This is not Harry Potter, this is more like Tom Clancy and James Bond. 

In editing my novel, I am trying to eliminate cusswords wherever possible...but only under realistic parameters.  So to those of my Christian friends and family, I value your support more than ever.  But please know that my story is not one about flowing rivers and expansive fields underneath a beautiful sun.  It is more of a story about betrayal of the government, abuse of power, and fiery landscapes.  I will try to tone the cussing down as much as possible, but not at the expense of telling a true-to-life story. 

So to those who are offended by bad language, please accept my most sincere apologies up front.  If you choose not to purchase this novel, I do not judge and persecute you.  I actually understand and respect your decision.  God bless all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment