Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Horror of Writing a Near-Future Thriller

Many who have found out about the general concept of my novel have all asked me the same question:  "Do you feel that this could really happen?".  My answer to them: Anything is possible.

If you would have asked a Southerner in 1855:  "Do you think that slavery will ever be abolished?", many would probably have answered: "No way in hell!".  Yet there were probably some who took the time to imagine different scenarios, much the way that I have done, and realized that anything WAS possible.  And when it finally came to pass, they probably loved the fact that they had been right all along (depending upon how they essentially felt about slavery).

Is it possible that our government would repeal the 2nd Amendment?  Most likely not.  I think they KNOW that they would have a Civil War on their hands if they were ever to do so.  However, given good reason (as I have included in my novel), I feel that it wouldn't be a far stretch of the imagination to see something like this happen.  The government, after all, sometimes has to answer to how this terrorism (domestic and abroad) happened on their watch.  It would not be too unlikely for them to repeal the 2nd Amendment in response to a big enough terrorism event, in which hundreds or maybe even thousands of American lives would be lost.

The whole goal of my story in 2018: An Uncivil War is to share a glimpse of what I feel America would possibly look like if the government took away our right to bear arms.  Some of you may have a different idea of what it would be like.  And I completely respect that.  But I have researched history as well as talked to key people in key positions of government in order to come up with my own personal idea of American chaos, which I proudly plan to publish on Kindle this Summer (maybe even as soon as July 4th!).

However, I am truly horrified by what I have discovered about how such an event would affect all of us.  And you may be too after you get a chance to engage upon reading my story.  God bless all of you.  And join me in praying that our government will lead us the way they were meant to, in a highly Constitutional manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment